WHAT IS GLAUCOMA
Glaucoma is a pathology characterized by the intraocular pressure permanent or regular rise followed by development of the visual field typical defects, vision deterioration, and optic nerve atrophy.
Two major glaucoma forms are distinguished – the open-angle glaucoma and the close-angle glaucoma. In addition, the following forms of glaucoma are known:
- Congenital glaucoma;
- Juvenile glaucoma;
- Various forms of secondary glaucoma including those associated with the abnormal eye development.
Glaucoma is a chronic pathology requiring regular monitoring for the patients suffering from the disease.
As the primary glaucoma occurs more often among the people over 50, we recommend persons over 40 to be examined at least once a year as nowadays the pathology is observed in the younger age, too. The persons having certain risk factors (inherited predisposition, myopia, diabetes mellitus, etc.) are advised to be examined 2 or 3 times a year.
Our centre offers both – glaucoma diagnosis and laser treatment.
GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PATIENTS SUFFERING GLAUCOMA
- TV watching and reading in poor lighting is not advisable.
- Baths and sauna must not be visited.
- Solarium and long stay in the sun are harmful.
- Limited intake of liquids (less than 2 L/day), salty, spicy, savory food.
- No alcohol consumption.
- Urgent stop tobacco smoking in case you smoke. Glaucoma and tobacco smoking are mutually exclusive.
- Limited physical loads, limited work with the head tilted (it is especially important for gardening lovers.
- Do not practice self-treatment. Administer only the medicinal agents your doctor recommend and comply with the therapy scheme.
- Glaucoma patients may take some medicinal agents only after an ophthalmologist consultation.
- Not-traditional treatment and failure to keep to the basic therapy prescribed by an ophthalmologist can be of an unacceptable risk.
- Glaucoma is a disease that can be treated only by the scheme prescribed by an ophthalmologist.
Glaucoma cannot be cured completely but the earlier it is diagnosed the easier the pathology is treated and the forecasts for the vision saving is better.